Search filters

Refugio de Vida Silvestre Curú - Puntarenas

iconLess than 5km
iconLess than 5000
Que Buen LugarPublished in Que Buen Lugar · Apr 28, 2017

This place is such a crazy beautiful paradise that it is hard to describe, it is an accessible wildlife sanctuary, full of life with trails that lead to forests and incredible beaches, it also has toured for all tastes .... and best of all, it's just a ferry ride away.

How to get there? Take route 27 in the direction of Puntarenas, when you arrive in Puntarenas, you have to go to the ferry port that leads to Paquera, the ferry takes about an hour and a half to get to the other side of the Gulf of Nicoya, and from Paquera the Curú reserve is only 15 minutes.

What to bring? Fresh clothes, swimsuit, sunscreen, hat, insect repellent, flashlight, sandals, towel, change, snacks, drybag, tennis, beverages, and an excellent attitude.

(only with help) (accessible with some difficulty) (accessible without difficulty)

More information about the accessibility in Curú: [(http)://]

Distance: Lookout point 700 m (total) Monkey Farm 2km (total) Ceiba 2km (total)

Difficulty: Easy Vehicle: Automobile Parking: Yes Pets: No Camping: No

Contact: Tel: 2641-0014

Cost: Entry $ 12 Kayaking $ 10 (singles) $ 15 (doubles) per hour. Cabins $ 20 per person per night Bioluminescence Tour $ 35 Turtle Tour $ 25


Last Friday we went for a walk with Nati from FUNDAMECO (the same Viking with which we went to La Ponderosa with). We left after work to Curú, the thing is that we had to be at 7 pm in the port, so we took the 8:30 pm ferry that leads to Paquera ... We arrived on time and even had a chance to eat a ceviche while we waited for taking off.

We got off the ferry to drive to Curú, but in the middle of so much tiredness/desire to arrive, we passed the entrance, so instead of lasting 15 minutes ... we lasted about half an hour ... When we entered the reserve It was like entering a paddock that instead of cows had deer, it was something amazing, we drove about 5 more minutes until we reached our cabin where we would spend the 2 nights.

Día 1

The next day we woke up at 7 am to get ready and go for a big breakfast with eggs in the dining room of the reserve. After filling up we headed to our first tour towards the Tortuga Islands. The road to the island was short (just over 10 minutes) as it is right in front of the Refugio Curú beach, once there we got off the boat to do some snorkeling where we saw fishes of all sizes shapes and colors for little more of half an hour.

After snorkeling we went to a beach that is right next to Playa Tortuga (the place where the tours arrive), this is called Tropical Beach and it is much cooler when there are not so many people around. Merlin, who was our guide and captain of the boat, prepared a fruit bowl and coconuts while we enjoyed the beach.

Around noon we returned to Curu for lunch. When we got to the dining room, we ate as if there was no tomorrow, and at least I ended up with some serious heartburn. Then when we finished eating and I unintentionally fell asleep in the hammock while Glori got ready to walk with Núñez.

While we were enjoying our siestas, Glori made a couple of trails called Ceiba and Finca de Monos. On these trails you pass through a forest next to the beach, then you come to a bridge that crosses the river of the estuary, where the bugs increase as you cross a mangrove forest. After the mangrove, you pass through a forest full of birds and animals that ends in some pastures.

Around 4 in the afternoon we went to get ready to go to see the sunset at another beach called Playa Quesera, the bioluminescence show was going to be at that same place. To go to this beach we went back to ride a boat to go along the coast just over 2 km to get there. On the way we saw a dreamy sunset, we stopped a couple of times to appreciate the Kodak moment and we continued.

When we arrived at this beach we were surprised because despite not having much light, beauty was appreciated. Another cool thing was that you can arrive in 3 ways, 1 walking from Curú on a path, by kayak (30 min) or by boat that takes basically nothing to get there. We didn’t really see many animals, only Núñez walking around but it was all good.

At nightfall, we began to touch the sand in search of the plankton that characterizes these beaches. It was not until it really got dark that we could start seeing the lights, it was at that moment that we got on the boat to do night snorkeling! We got the stuff ready and in front of Playa Quesera, we jumped out of the boat to start the show that was really amazing.

When we returned to Reserva Curú and arrived at the cabin we found out that we were invaded by a giant colony of crabs (the ones that are black with red). These fellas had to be removed with shovel and broom because they were so many, even so, we survived the experience.

Día 2

We got up again at 7 for breakfast, then we went to walk on a super short trail that led to the viewpoint. It is not difficult to get there, but it is wise to bring a bottle of water and sunscreen because in the viewpoint there is no shade. From the viewpoint you can see the whole beach of the Curú Refuge, so for me, this was a must.

Once at the cabin, we got ready to kayaking to the paradisiacal beach Quesera, which we had been recommended to go for a while. We went in 2 double kayaks and 1 single (me), we lasted a bit more than half an hour at a normal pace with stops included until we reached Quesera. The road was just perfect, for an instant we felt like we were on the white sandy beaches and exotic Caribbean reefs.

When we arrived we threw a blanket in the sand and enjoyed a completely private beach, it was just us and the sea ... where else can you enjoy such a perfect and isolated place? This beach is really one of the nicest ones we've been to.

Login or register to comment